1.make forceful or violent efforts to get free of restraint or constriction
In life we face many struggles, and through these many struggles, there are variations of the type of struggle. What may be a struggle for one may not be one for the other. For instance someone with little to no money will not have the same struggles as someone with money, and vise versa. Seemingly, through the mist of struggle although different types we seem to formulate the same type of lessons from them. There are a lot of people who have went through different struggles than I have, but somehow we have learned the same thing through the differences. The way you struggle today may not be the same way that you struggle 3 years down the line. Just like the struggles that I am facing today are not the same struggles that I faced years ago. Although struggle exists so does growth.
Growth through struggle is a choice I believe. There are many who go through struggle and strife but because of their perception in that struggle they are unable to change. They are unable to learn the lessons and grow because they are seeing all that is wrong verses all that is right. Why is it that some see the good in the struggle and others dont?
I have always summed up the results of struggle in 4 ways. These 4 ways I believe are general decisions made no matter the struggle a person may face. These 4 ways are listed below.
1. Use the struggle as an excuse
There have been countless times were I have heard people use sentences such as ” I had to do this because I am going through this.” Or I have heard people say well this happen to me so because this happen to me, it gives me the right to do this back. Some people use their struggle as an excuse to do nothing with their life. They let their circumstances, environments, flaws, finances and etc be the excuse to continue in struggle. They continue in struggle with no desire to change or any realization that their excuses are the things that are keeping them from making it out of the struggle.
2. Use the Struggle As a Behavior/ choice factor
There are so many people that feel like they have to stick within what was given to them. There are so many people who feel no need to push themselves beyond what their eyes can see. There are so many people that use their struggle to base their behaviors off of. We all have heard the saying product of our environment. The people with this mindset become just that a product of their environment. This is where you will hear sayings such as, ” My mom was an alcoholic, and thats why I am an alcoholic.” “My family was on welfare, my parents didn’t finish high school or go to college, so why should I?” This is a destructive frame of thought that leads a lot of people to being regretful and full of resentment. They base their behavior on their struggle. Another example could be if someone got caught stealing, and they say something like, ” It’s not my fault I was only stealing because of….” Your behavior and choices that you make should not be based off the struggles you have encountered, are encountering or will encounter.
3. Use the struggle as motivation to break free
This is something that not many people choose to do unfortunately. But to the ones that do choose this path although it is a hard one, they have made up in their minds that they will rise above and be greater than their circumstances, environments and so forth. They choose to make no excuses, or act off of what they are going through. They instead stop at nothing and seek out ways beyond themselves and surroundings to change their struggles. These are the people who make up their mind that nothing is going to stop them from making it.
4. Use the struggle to settle and give up on yourself
There are many who have chosen to let the struggle be a reason to settle for what life has given them. They have chosen to give up on themselves and what they are capable of doing. They may feel that so much has happened in their life, mainly bad things, that they shouldn’t even bother trying. They develop a pessimistic attitude about life, and talk down on themselves.
However struggle should not be something that we fight against, but instead something with embrace and learn to endure.
I myself am #3. My life when I was in the 6th grade went down hill. I went through a lot of stuff ( another story later). But in that moment, even in the 6th grade I made the choice that no matter what happened to me, I was going to use it to grow me. I was going to use my struggles to be the thing to motivate me to keep wanting more. I didn’t want to settle, I didn’t want what I was going through to break me. I have been known because of this decision long ago as a RESILIENT individual. There are so many things that have happened in my life, that I could have choose to respond with #1, #2, or even #4. There are plenty of things that I could have made me feel defeated and give up. Even now I am struggling with many things, but I refuse to give up. I refuse to allow life, my environments or things outside of my control to destroy my dreams. I refuse to go through life bitter because of all things that have happened to me in my life. Am I where I want to be in life, no. But I know that if I keep the mentality that no matter the struggle, I will keep pushing, I know that I will get there.
I will never be completely free from struggle, but with Faith and trust in God I know that I will get through whatever struggle comes my way. We dont have to be products of our environments or circumstances, we can be greater than these if we are willing to trust God, and believe in ourselves. We are not the things that we go through, we are uniquely created for greatness, and we must remember that we posses the power inside to do anything. Struggle can motivate you , struggle can mold you for greatness, if you are willing to see the good, lessons, and the blessings within the struggle.
The struggle is most certainly real, but so is God. The struggle can be beautiful if your willing to search for the beauty within it. Don’t let struggle stop you from pursing what you want in life. If you choose to use those struggles to build you up, you will have the ability to conquer whatever comes your way in life. Don’t let life steal your joy or run you away from your destiny. Instead grab hold to God, and take life under your control, because we are the thing that controls the manifestation of our destiny.
Choose to let struggle build you up instead of tearing you down!!!
What is something you are struggling with. Also check out my post struggle can motivate you HERE
Bible verses about hardship
When your life is all about Christ hardships are inevitable. There are many reasons why Christians go through hardships in life. Sometimes it is to discipline us and bring us back on the path of righteousness.
Sometimes it’s to strengthen our faith and make us more like Christ. Sometimes we have to go through hardships to get to a blessing.
Tough times prove ourselves to God and they build our relationship with Him. It might seem hard, but remember God is on your side.
If God is for us who can be against us? Regardless of the reasons you are going through adversity, be strong and patient because the Lord will help you.
Think about Jesus, who suffered severe hardship. God will hold you up with His mighty hand. God is doing something in your life. Suffering is not meaningless.
He hasn’t forsaken you. Instead of doubting start praying. Ask God for strength, encouragement, comfort, and help. Wrestle with the Lord day in and day out.
- “Faith endures as seeing Him who is invisible; endures the disappointments, the hardships, and the heart-aches of life, by recognizing that all comes from the hand of Him who is too wise to err and too loving to be unkind.” A. W. Pink
- “He who knows no hardships will know no hardihood. He who faces no calamity will need no courage. Mysterious though it is, the characteristics in human nature which we love best grow in a soil with a strong mixture of troubles.” Harry Emerson Fosdick
- When something bad happens you have three choices. You can let it define you, let it destroy you, or you can let it strengthen you.
- Hardships often prepare ordinary people for an extraordinary destiny C.S. Lewis
1. 2 Corinthians 6:3-5 We live in such a way that no one will stumble because of us, and no one will find fault with our ministry. In everything we do, we show that we are true ministers of God. We patiently endure troubles and hardships and calamities of every kind. We have been beaten, been put in prison, faced angry mobs, worked to exhaustion, endured sleepless nights, and gone without food.
2. 2 Timothy 4:5 You, however, be self-controlled in all things, endure hardship, do an evangelist’s work, fulfill your ministry.
3. 2 Timothy 1:7-8 For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline. So do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord or of me his prisoner. Rather, join with me in suffering for the gospel, by the power of God.
4. Romans 8:35-39 Can anything ever separate us from Christ’s love? Does it mean he no longer loves us if we have trouble or calamity, or are persecuted, or hungry, or destitute, or in danger, or threatened with death? (As theScriptures say, “For your sake we are killed every day; we are being slaughtered like sheep.” No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us. And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord.
5. John 16:33 I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.”
6. 2 Corinthians 12:10 That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong.